Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Flowers for Algernon

I would like to write about a novel titled "Flowers for Algernon" by Daniel Keyes. This is one of my favorite novel. The story is kinda absurd, but not really absurd actually, hmm this is so-so absurd novel kind of type. Halah, naon sih...

It's about a guy named Charlie who has very low IQ (68), who were chosen to undergo the brain surgeon to increase his intelligence. Since this surgeon, already succeed to Algernon.
Algernon is a mouse, laboratory mouse to be more exact that has surgery to increase his (or her) intelligence.

But after his intelligence increased, he started to realize how terrible life is. The things that amused him when he was still with IQ 68, now disappoint him. He knows how many flaws, and fakes in the world that he live in.

And then, Algernon showed some intelligence decrease, so did Charlie. But even so, his maturity grown up, he was not the same Charlie as before. Maybe the IQ became 68 again, but he became wiser after he knew something he felt he didn't need to know.

And then after Algernon died, Charlie decided to go the institution for men like him (need particular needs), and asked someone to put flowers at Algernon's grave.

The story is so damn simple, but somehow touch me. I bought this book when I was still in SHS (even I already know about this novel since I was in elementary, but it hadn't published in Indonesia yet), and I love it. This is one of first novel that I love.

Nice job, Daniel Keyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment